Jenkins Plugins for Automating Continuous Delivery
The Release Engineer plug-in allows Jenkins to call Release Engineer as a step in a job. This enables you to utilize Jenkins to orchestrate your Continuous Integration process, while Release Engineer does the heavy lifting of packaging the application stack and deploying it across your Continuous Delivery environments, without the use of one-off script and without the use of any endpoint agents or Jenkins Executors.
Solving the Jenkins Security IssueRelease Engineer eliminates the need for you to install a Jenkins 'Executor' on all of your delivery 'endpoints.' For large environments, this is essential to reduce the security risk of having a Jenkins agent running on all testing and production servers.
Configuration of the Release Engineer Jenkins Plugin
The basic configuration includes the following:
- Username and Password - Determines security access to the various objects within Release Engineer, including the Applications and Components that are available from the Jenkins Plug-In.
- Target Environment - A Release Engineer Environment contains all of the Servers that will be deployed to.
- Application - A Release Engineer Application contains all of the Components that make up a deployment. It is deployed against an Environment.
- Wait for Deployment to Complete - This tells Jenkins to wait until Release Engineer is finished with the deployment before moving on to the next step in the Job. If this option is chosen, the remaining steps in the Job will only run if the deployment was successful. If left unchecked, Jenkins will continue to the next step in the Job as soon as Release Engineer begins the deployment, and ignore the success or failure of the deployment.
- Use Advanced Version Selection - If this is checked, other options will appear that will allow you to take advantage of the capabilities that are available with Applications within Release Engineer. These include:
- Find Latest Version - If Latest Version is approved, create a new version
- Use Component Selection
- Set Component Attributes
- Set Application Attributes